Having little boys and picking out valentines for their friends at school is a lot more complicated than I thought before I had kids! When I was young, I remember going to the grocery store with my mom and picking out a box of valentines for my classmates with a little sucker or lollipop. We would fill out the to and from names, and that was about it!
Nowadays, few schools allow candy, especially at the preschool level. Some even are nut-free facilities, which further decrease your options. This is all good news as it certainly has our children’s interests and health in mind. It does, however, require a bit more creativity!
My four-year-old Deuce has been into Sonic the Hedgehog since he first saw the live-action movie almost a year ago. It was the first “big boy” movie he saw in theaters, and he now only wears red tennis shoes so that he can “run fast like sonic.” Every few weeks, I gauge to see if his interest has changed and if there is a new interest or character that is his favorite. However, even after Christmas and dozens of Sonic themed gifts, his love and allegiance are still for Sonic the Hedgehog!
I knew this would be the preferred choice for Valentine’s Day, so I was disappointed when I went to several stores and only saw a few super hero valentines and shark valentines for boys. No Sonic. The options were so limiting I was also sure just about every boy in his class would have one of those 4 Valentines when they exchanged them at school.
I decided the best thing to do would be to create our own Sonic the Hedgehog themed Valentine! Deuce loved how they turned out and can’t wait to give them to all of his friends.
If you’ve got a Sonic lover in your home and want to create something similar, here are the instructions:
Sonic the Hedgehog Valentine’s
What You’ll Need:
- Clear Cellophane Bags
- Wooden Heart Ornaments
- Kool-Aid Bursts Berry Blue Juice
- Individual Packed Cookies (Oreos)
- Fruit Snacks (Red packaging)
- Sonic Valentine Cards From The Lunchbox Season (Free download here)
- Sonic and Friend Straws
- Gaming Foam Stickers
- Red Festive Shredded Paper
- Visit The Lunch Box Season Blog site and download the free Sonic and friends Valentine card template. Please print it out on heavy card stock and then cut each valentine out. (print and cut as many as you need for your Valentines)
- Take a cellophane bag and place about ½ a cup of shredded paper into the bag.
- Add your Kool-Aid Burst bottle, which is the heaviest item, and center it into the bag on top of the paper.
- Next, take your Sonic straw and place it in front of the juice bottle (it will poke out of the top of the bag, which is fine.
- Add your Oreo cookie and then your fruit snacks in front of the juice and straw.
- Add your sonic valentine card, then place the bag aside.
- Take your wooden heart and one of the gaming foam stickers of your choice. Pull the adhesive off the gaming sticker and add it to the center of the wooden heart.
- Take the string that’s included with your hearts and tie it around the bag, making a knot.
- Then add the heart through one side of the string and tie a second knot.
- Hand them out to friends! 🙂